The Great 8: My absolute must haves
If you're anything like me, once you find a product you like, you NEVER want to let it go. Great, now that we have admitted our fear of letting go, let's dive into a few of my favorite hair, skincare, and makeup products that make me feel fabulous. All products are linked in case you want to learn more.
8) Neutrogena Nourishing Face Wash + Makeup Remover Not only is this face wash effective at washing off all the day's shenanigans, but it's still gentle on my skin. I like the pump type packaging, allowing for easy access and the pump also locks making travel a breeze. Warning, there are two variations of this product, one with makeup remover, one without. I like the one with makeup remover.
7) Rose Salve by C. O. Bigelow
For generations, rose has been widely used across cultures as a calming remedy in the form of an extract, balm, petal, or in my culture, a water for Persian Ice Cream #holler. In it's adorable pink packaging, Rose Salve is a dynamic balm that provides calming and neutral relief to dry skin. While it's mostly used as a lip product, I use it on my cuticles and elbows because ashy skin does not discriminate #preach. Beware, as a salve the consistency of this product is responsive to temperature, so I recommend storing it in a cool location to prevent melting.
*Pro tip: Regularly apply a layer every night before you sleep. After 1-2 weeks, you will notice softer more pouty lips.
6) L.A. Lights Blush & Highlight Palette by Smashbox Normally I try to be financially conservative when it comes to makeup, because boy howdy, if you give me an inch I will run a mile. BUT this product is worth every penny! I personally use the Culver City Coral shade because coral tends to appear better on olive skin. Not only is it in sleek, easy to travel packaging, but the trio of colors offers you options to take your look in different directions. Let's be real, one is never enough anyways.
In all of its jet black, matte glory, Carbon is a fantastic addition to anybody's daily makeup routine. I know, whipping out black eyeshadow for a 9:00am Monday standup meeting seems out of place, but it's all about how you wield that power boo. Not only do I use it add more drama to my eyeshadow, but Carbon also makes for a great eyeliner when wet. If you dampen your eyeliner brush, generously coat it in Carbon, then apply, you get a fully pigmented line! If defined eyeliner isn't your thing, you can use less water and go for that"smudgy chic" look. I just made that phrase up, but roll with it. Also because the payoff of MAC eyeshadows is incredibly high, you will not need to replace this product for quite some time.
4) Covergirl Lashblast Fusion mascara
Covergirl?? Isn't that a cheap brand? Yes it is, girl! This mascara, particularly the "Very Black" shade has been in my daily arsenal for YEARS. I have fairly long eyelashes and while I love them dearly, they can also clump easily if I don't use the right brush. As opposed to the standard fibered brushes we are used to seeing, Lashblast Fusion has a chubby rubberized brush with clearly defined bristles to comb through lashes. It doesn't add much length, but boy does it volumize. Fair warning, if you have short or sparse lashes, this may not be the ideal product for you. Try finding a fuller bristled brush that will plump up your lashes, not comb through them. Lastly, I use the regular, NOT waterproof formula. The regular formula holds up great without the violent scrubbing session that usually ensues after applying waterproof mascara.
3) Batiste Dry Shampoo As a brunette, finding a dry shampoo that doesn't make my hair appear ashy or smell like chocolate (I know, but there can be too much of a good thing), is nearly impossible! Batiste nailed it with not only offering a variety of shades, but also palatable scents in a nice powerful, aerosol can. My go to is "Beautiful Brunette". What's even better is that they are sold in travel sizes too, making it a permanent resident in my gym bag.
2) Hoola Matte Bronzer by Benefit
You know that one dress that mysteriously fits you and all your friends STUNNINGLY? Hoola does this in the makeup world. First off, Hoola is incredibly soft to the touch and buildable with a fantastic payoff so you don't have to cake it on to contour. Unlike its orange counterparts, Hoola has a slightly grey undertone, making it flattering on a variety of skin tones. I have to be honest, I haven't experimented Hoola much on African American skin, but it suits fair, medium, and olive skin beautifully. What's even cooler, is that it also makes for a great eyeshadow! I don't know about you, but if I'm paying department store prices, I appreciate the product being multifunctional. Highly recommended!
And the award for Mojan's absolute favorite product goes to....
1) Pro Longwear Concealer by MAC
As a Middle Eastern woman, I may be #blessed with great eyebrows, but with that came some rockin' dark circles. Finding a concealer that actually covered the pigmentation rather than changing the color from "dark" to "less dark" was a feat until I met my match with one of my favorite brands. Pro Longwear Concealer is a full coverage, matte concealer that blends beautifully. The one downside to this product is the pump style packaging. I have tried to depot this product and haven't been successful so far. The good part is that a little goes a long way; you don't need more than half a pump for both eyes!
There you have it! If you have want more personalized product and technique recommendations, book a group training session today!
**Brands mentioned in this post are not professionally affiliated or endorsed in any way. Blog posts are written purely on a subjective basis and are meant for educational purposes only.**